Saturday, November 13, 2010

Simplicity

I am amazed at the growth and the vitality of the lettuce and basil in the system. I understood hydroponic growing produced superior results, but I did not expect results to this extent.


Aside from the phenomenal growth, it is the simplicity that really strikes me. I spend less than 10 minutes per day on any kind of maintenance or system tweaking. In fact, most days are spent taking a peak at the water level and the rest of the time spent marveling at the plants.


The PH tests (about every 3rd day) take all of 5 minutes said and done and adjustments to the balance (if needed) add another minute or so to the routine. I believe the decision to go with a 9 gallon reservoir was sound as it really helps to maintain the PH balance as opposed to a more volatile small capacity system.


Keeping the PH between 5.5 and 6.5 allows absorption of all nutrients across the spectrum. Too high or low can lock up nutrients and decrease the plants ability to process the needed minerals for growth. I was a little apprehensive about the PH testing and balancing, but it has proven very simple.


I am already contemplating replacing some of the soil-based outdoor containers with hydro systems. It really is so simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment